In 1984 the TAANA Foundation was incorporated as a Maryland charitable organization by Cynthia Ellen Northrop who was the visionary leader behind the formation of TAANA and the Foundation. Some TAANA Members, including myself, personally knew Cynthia Northrop and were professionally influenced her. The purpose of the Foundation is to operate exclusively for charitable or educational purposes and to provide financial support to recognized charitable institutions or in the furtherance of charitable or educational works.
Some of the Foundation accomplishments are:
- During COVID pandemic, a significant donation was made to Nurses Home to provide nurses with whatever support is needed during this Public Health Emergency.
- The establishment of an academic scholarship, in perpetuity, in memory of TAANA’s founder Cynthia Northrop, The Cynthia Northrop Memorial Scholarship Endowment for Ph.D. Students at the University of Maryland School of Nursing, the University where Cynthia was a professor. In 2021 we had our first scholarship recipient,
- Publication of the revised Model Curriculum of Legal Content in Nursing Education,
- Supported the TAANA Archives in the library of Boston College, Massachusetts, funding archive visits and displays reception during TAANA’s Anniversary Celebrations,
- The development of scholarly publications which analyze developments and trends in healthcare law as Amicus briefs and White Papers,
- The production of the DVD Think Before You Speak preparation of nurses for deposition,
- Student scholarships for students or first year nurse attorneys to attend the TAANA annual educational conference,
- Mary Eleanor McGarvah Award, a humanitarian award, in honor of Mary Eleanor McGarvah, the first nurse attorney. This Award recognizes the significant contributions of Ms. McGarvah, and the award recipients who have made contributions to society by humanitarian efforts, the development of the public health, law, nursing or public policy.
- Giving an annual Community Grant. The Community Grant recipient generally is an organization that provides legal and or healthcare services to a vulnerable population in that city or area.
The TAANA Foundation fosters the education of nurse attorneys, impacts health policy and law by honoring leaders and supporting issues important to the professional organization and interfaces directly with the public. The Foundation serves a role in nurse attorneys giving back to their profession and their communities.
Support the Foundation. The Foundation relies on contributions from nurse attorneys and the public. The TAANA Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit charity. Donations are tax deductible to the extent of the law. Donations may be made to the Student Scholarship, general Foundation charitable fund or in honor or in memory of someone at any time. Donations can be made at the Foundation website, http://taana.org/foundation/donate, by downloading a printable donation form, (pdf), or with annual membership dues, with registration for TAANA’s annual educational conference, contacting the Foundation’s Administrator, or in person at the Annual Meeting.
Thank you for your continued support and generosity.
Randi Kopf, RN, MS, JD2022 TAANA Foundation Board of Trustees
President, TAANA Foundation