Board of Directors
- June - Chesapeake Nurse Attorneys, Inc. (CNA) had a successful Chapter meeting in June 2011 in the Baltimore’s Inner Harbor. The meeting was hosted at the law firm of Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, by CNA member Rose Matricciani, Partner. We had two presentations. Andrea Sloan presented her Board of Nursing case regarding police reporting requirements resulting in HIPAA violation, professional licensure defense and other related professional matters with New York Times coverage. Randi Kopf’s presentation, “Extortion, Theft, Fraud and Other liabilities associated with International Outsourcing of Protected Health Care Information”. The topic was ahead of the curve, as in Nov. 2011, CMS issued prohibitions of such international PHI outsourcing. In attendance were members and guests from Maryland, DC, Virginia, NY, WV and via Skype NC. After the business meeting and presentations we had lunch in Baltimore’s Little Italy, some toured the Inner Harbor area and others had dinner together.
December - CNA held its First Annual Cases and Laws Club meeting Dec. 2011. Attendees presented a quick synopsis of an interesting new law, regulation or case matter. Much discussion and advice followed. The meeting included a business meeting and elections. The next meeting was planned for Spring of 2012 in NYC or on a short cruise leaving from Baltimore, MD. The CNA listserve continues as a member benefit.
Member Recognitions for 2011
- Elizabeth Beall - Will be the NYC conference coordinator with Paula Grant.
- Randi Kopf - Reappointed to the Maryland Attorney Peer Review Committee, received TAANA’s Cynthia Northrop’s Distinguished Service Award, elected to serve as a Trustee for the TAANA Foundation
- Kathy Mancusi - Reelection to the Board of Directors of TAANA, serves on the Maryland State Bar Association Elder Law Council
- Rose Matricciani - Published in Maryland Super Lawyers 2011
- Andrea Sloan - Won a Federal Summary Judgment for the case she presented as guardian in an immigration medical support matter
- Jackie Walus-Wigle - Recently moved to Arlington, VA from San Diego, California and is currently working as a contract attorney, serves as the Secretary for the TAANA Foundation
- Chesapeake launched an email listserve for members and listserve members.
- May - Informal luncheon at The Monocle, Washington, D.C., hosting Dr. Margaret Moss, DSN, RN, JD, upcoming keynote speaker for the Annual TAANA Meeting in October, 2009, in Albuquerque. Dr. Moss currently is the Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellow who is assigned to the Senate Special Committee on Aging in Washington, D.C. She is also an Associate Professor at the University of Minnesota School of Nursing.
- December - Social/Networking and Election, The Tomato Palace, Columbia, Maryland.
- October - The Criminalization of Unintended Error: Implications for Health Lawyers, presented by Edie Brous, RN, BSN, MS, MPH, JD
- December - Annual Social Dinner Meeting
- October - Meet for Lunch and visit the highly-acclaimed exhibit, "The Bodies"
- March - "Animal Law and How It Can Become Part of Your Practice"